8.5.13

Healthy Hair: No "Poo" Challenge

When I told my husband that I was wanting to try the No "Poo" Challenge he told me that it was not good for me to hold it in lol So for those of you thinking along those same lines let me explain to you that no "poo" is short for no SHAMpoo!

This challenge is all over the blogging community and it seems like everyone is trying it, so I thought I'd give it a whirl! My hair loss from pregnancy was getting out of control so I thought this might help since it is supposed to make your hair healthier. I also have very fine hair, so anything that boasts increased volume, I'm down to try!

The idea of this challenge is to eliminate shampoo from your daily hair care routine. Shampoo strips your hair of oil and dirt which cause your scalp to produce more oil, then you use shampoo to get rid of the oil and it becomes a vicious cycle. By not using shampoo it is supposed to give your scalp a chance to balance out oil production, thus elimimating the need for shampoo.

Most challenges that I had read about suggested trying this routine for 30 days, but some people have actually stopped using shampoo and conditioner indefinitely!  You use 1 tbs of baking soda dissolved in 8 oz of water as a shampoo and 1 tbs of apple cider vinegar dissolved in 8 oz of water for conditioner. I used a small tupperware container for my shampoo mix and a spray bottle for my conditioner. I also hid my shampoo and conditioner in the cupboard so I wouldn't be tempted to use it!

I started this challenge with high hopes because most of the posts I read were raving about increased volume, length, and overall hair health, however I was not impressed with my results. I ended the challenge after about 20 days because my hair became unmanageable, greasy, and smelly! The apple cider vinegar did not condition my hair very well so it was very difficult to comb through. I ended up losing hanfdfuls of hair just trying to comb the knots out. When I blow dried my hair it actually looked decent for a few hours, but eventually went flat and looked extremely greasy. The smell was probably the worst part though. When the apple cider vinegar dries you actually don't smell it that strong, but anytime I got sweaty it stirred up the smell again. I also hated coming to bed at night to hear my husband tell me that I stunk lol

If you are thinking about trying this challenge I suggest you do some research! Like I said, there are plenty of people having success with it, so just look around a bit and see if it sounds right for you!

I love trying new products and regiments for my hair; some things work and some don't! The next thing I want to try is grapeseed oil, I hear it's the magical hair growth oil! I'll let you know how it goes! Feel free to leave any tips or product suggestions below!

4 comments:

  1. I know coconut oil is supposed to keep hair strong and promote growth!! Also, while it may be a little bit more spendy, Nioxin helps with hair growth. I use Aveda shampoo and conditioner and LOVE it. It is made with all natural products. If i use normal shampoo I can't go more than 24 hours without my hair looking like I dipped it in grease but with my Aveda shampoo i can go a couple days. its magical :-) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip Brey! I tried coconut oil once, I will have to try it again! I have also used Nioxin before, but I can't afford to spend that much on shampoo lol I will definitely have to try the Aveda. I've been using Garnier, but I'm not so crazy about it!

      Delete
  2. I've found that just using coconut oil in my diet has helped my hair be healthier, but nothing helps with post-pregnancy hair loss. I use Nature's Gate shampoo and conditioner; it's definitely more expensive than Suave or Garnier but it's the only thing that makes my hair somewhat smooth in the humidity, as well as lasting two days before looking greasy instead of one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have used coconut oil while baking cookies and brownies before and it makes them turn out so different. I just need to learn how to cook with it better and what adjustments I need to make when substituting it into a recipe! I have never heard of Nature's Gate, but I will have to check it out! Thanks for the suggestions Heidi!

      Delete